Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 27 Sibley, Iowa

Since I had such a nice campsite last night (Minneopa State Park), I did not even mind that it was Cold! when I woke up. I just stayed snuggled in my sleeping bag until the sun came up over the tree tops. Then I had a great hot shower, packed up and drove to Worthington.

My time in Worthington was very productive and accomplished very quickly, so I moved on to Sibley, Iowa. As I was leaving the nice city of Worthington, I thought I bet I'll be sorry I'm not staying the night here. Sibley is a little town. Well, it was worse than I thought. I could not find a place to eat in Sibley. All of the restaurants that the GPS pulled up were closed, out of business. So I went back to the edge of town where I had bought gas and there was a Subway adjacent and I ate there. Not bad but I had little to eat all day and would have preferred something else.

However, they have a nice modern library with Wi-fi and I was so happy because I remembered that I had audio-books due today that I had to renew. Then I could not renew one of them because someone had a hold on it. Not sure what to do about that; guess I will just email them and tell them I'm on the road, back in a month!

Had a very long and dusty detour half way between Mankato and Worthington. Drove on a lot of dirt/gravel roads. Car is dirty again, but there is an automated car wash here that I plan to run it through. But no laundromat, that I have found yet. Clean car but no clean clothes. But my business in Sibley will not take long and in the morning I will be headed to a larger place.

Today, for the first time I put super unleaded gas in the car. In the state of Iowa if you use super unleaded which has 10% ethanol, it is 10 cents cheaper per gallon, dong their bit to "keep Iowa clean". It took me a while to catch on and the pumps are all labeled differently, but this time I remembered. I hope the car continues on this gas okay because it has been running like a charm, no problem at all. Almost due for an oil change though. I think my trip odometer says I have been nearly 2600 miles already.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mom-

    Glad to hear you had a long chat with Carol. And interesting about the lack of food, but good library in the little town. And the ethanol! Had a good weekend -- Barry's photo group went to a farm with horses, boarding stable, etc. Goats! They had 3 goats. We had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom -
    Beth scored a promotional trip to Hawaii over labor day weekend. Then we scrounged like crazy to come up with my plane ticket, raided all our piggy banks (for real - we have piggy banks) and got a wee bit over half of it covered. It will be a quick trip for me 3 nights, but she will have 2 extra (lucky dog).

    Glad to hear you are sleeping well in the van, that would take getting use to for me.

    --Jon

    ReplyDelete