Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day 18 Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Got into Cedar Rapids yesterday about 3 pm after spending a rainy morning tramping through cemeteries on back roads in Jones County. Finally found the Clay township cemetery. I knew from the map which Section it was in but no more definitive details. When I thought I must be close I pulled into a farmhouse, knocked on the door, was motioned to come in (I had seen a ramp so suspected the owner was disabled). I opened the door and sitting at the kitchen table were two men who sported full beards and overalls. Not until later did I realize they may have been Mormon, though nothing else except the tidiness of the farmstead would have denoted that. Anyway, they gave me good directions and I set out. Twenty minutes later after traversing this one piece of road a couple times I stopped another place for directions and discovered that when the bearded gentleman had given me directions, starting out with "go to the corner and turn right..." he meant the corner where his not-so-long driveway met the road!

Anyway, my car needs a wash badly and I will see to that this evening. When I got into Cedar Rapids yesterday I went directly to the Genealogy Library and there was no Wi-fi there, so now I am at the public library. It is located in a partially empty Mall. The policeman who gave me final directions added, "they've set up there since the flood." They have Wi-fi here and I have a very nice comfortable chair to sit in.

When I attempted to post a new blog today, I got this error message that something needed to be done to enable Java scripting. The blog had very helpful suggestions, and I was irritated again, because Windows had just done an automatic update and when they do that it always messes with programs. But I followed directions and was able to access the blog site - thank goodness.

In a little bit I will go to visit Ellie Cass. She said if I ever got to Cedar Rapids I had to stop by, but I could find no phone listing for her. I had sent her an email, but I don't think she uses her email much; I never got a reply. Earlier this afternoon I looked up the address. No one was home, but I went next door to be sure I had the right place and I did.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mom!

    Anamosa certainly has provided interesting happenings and memories! I've never heard of that kind of behavior by deer! Especially a fawn!

    I went to a memorial service for one of our long-time congregants today. It was a lovely service. She was a social worker, and a very wise and loving lady. Many people from the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences at Case Western University came, and told of how she influenced a resurgence of teaching of group work, and a lecture series on the same, by her advocacy. And that they will make sure to keep that work going -- "we got the message loud and clear", they said. :) I helped out with coffee service, and it was nice to have that opportunity.

    We went to an IEEE lecture on wind power and political factors in technology innovation and adoption, on Thursday. I was very good. It was held out ont the Case Western Reserve University's Farm, which is working on getting a wind turbine to help power the farm. Poured while we inside. We came out to amazing sky, clear above, with different cloud formations all around us. Tne lecture was in a building called the "Sheep Barn", but no straw or sheep here! A nice cinder block building, set up well for an audience of 100 +.

    Love to you and good hunting!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete