Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 10 Wisconsin Rapids, WI

My cell phone was not dead. Radio Shack checked it out; battery was completely uncharged. I had not been able to get the charger working at the campsite, but it worked fine at Radio Shack, so we decided it was just a fluke, or the charger did not like the electrical outlet at the campground.

I spent the last two nights at the Mirror Lake campgrounds, north of Baraboo. Most of yesterday morning I was in the Courthouse. I left there at 11:45, and walking back to my car, saw a used car dealer, with a sign that said repair shop. Since it was across the street from the library, I stopped in to inquire and within a half hour, they said yes, they could get parts locally, and so I walked up the street and did my laundry while they installed a new muffler, and then I spent the rest of the afternoon at the library. I considered myself lucky that the courthouse, the library, the repair shop and the laundry were all within 2 blocks of each other!

Leaving Baraboo early this morning, I drove through Wisconsin Dell. What a place - looks like a mini-Las Vegas! Obviously a great tourist area. Couldn't believe some of the stuff I saw. There was a huge hotel complex that had an outer facade (huge) over the whole thing that looked like a palatial building that had been destroyed by an earthquake. Judging by some of the other buildings I saw, I guessed the area has been trying to emulate historical Rome. Was happy to leave it behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment