Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 29 Onawa, Iowa

Woke up this morning feeling great! I love sleeping in the van at a campsite and being able to look up through my back window at the stars. Last night was not as cold as it had been the past two nights, 10 degrees warmer when I woke this morning and I slept all night without waking. For the first time I had a camp wash house with enough light so I could actually put on my make-up there after I washed up.

Then quirky things began to happen. I spilled some of my coffee in the car and had to mop that up. (Amazing that I have not had more spills along the way.) I went in to McDonald's to use the restroom and was sitting there when I heard a father and son talking. He was frustrated with his son.."you went a whole hour before you had to pee"... etc. and he kept asking the boy if he was done yet. I could not believe I could hear them so clearly but there was a vent right over my head. And then the boy finished and went to the sink to wash up and I realized they were right outside my door!! I kept my head down til they left. I was almost afraid to leave in case I had walked into the wrong restroom!! But I squared my shoulders and sallied forth, very happy to see that the door across the hall said MEN.

Spent the morning in the Courthouse, most of it standing up, and my tummy began to feel uneasy. By the time I left, I realized I could not keep going at my usual pace and would just have to take time to rest. So I laid down in the car for an hour and read. After that I felt some better and decided to spend the afternoon in the library where I could have peace and quiet and use internet access. It turned out to be a good decision. Got information here that I did not get at the courthouse. My stomach is still kind of unsettled and I am beginning to feel hungry because I did not eat any lunch. This is the first time on my trip that I have not felt well. Considering all the different water I've drunk and the places I've eaten, that is pretty good. I am sure I will be all better in the morning. Meanwhile, I will stay here instead of going back to Sioux City as I had planned. I need all my wits about me to drive in a strange city.

Got my car washed and found out where there is a laundromat. And I'm hoping for a nice restaurant tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mom!

    Hope you are feeling all better!

    I'm getting some great help at work. I left at 4:15pm today! And all the prep for tomorrow's meetings is complete -- and someone else did it! Better!

    Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete