Monday, September 8, 2014

Plop Goes The Drop


Plop! The drop fell on my cheek and rolled down my face. “Come on, Fred! We are supposed to be doing this together. First you are too slow, now you are too fast”. Fred says nothing. “Okay. Next time I'll be ready for you!”

I had noticed that the drops fall quicker from the bottles this week, perhaps because there is more air in the bottles as they are emptier. This week I only have to put drops in my eyes twice a day, and as of last Friday, I no longer have to plaster the Shield over my eye at night. That is a blessing.

But I am also beginning to understand why my father did not want to have his other cataract removed. This is just tedious! Boring! And I ask myself, since my eyesight is so much improved, do I need to have the other cataract removed? There is a temptation just to get on with my life, instead of fussing with my eyes for another whole month.

Then I apply the 10-10-10 assessment. What are the consequences of my decision in 10 minutes, in 10 months, in 10 years? Will I be sorry if I don’t do it now? 10 minutes or 10 months probably wouldn’t make a difference, I tell myself, but in 10 years I just might be happy that I had the other cataract out 10 years ago. So I will schedule the left eye surgery for early October. That way I will be able to come home in mid-October to rake leaves, one of my favorite chores, and return to Cleveland for my final check-up in November.

I could return to Covington now, but my brother and sister-in-law’s 50th wedding anniversary party is in Watertown, NY on the 14th and it makes no sense to drive home for only a few days and turn around to make the long haul to Watertown. So I am staying at Amy’s in Cleveland until Friday. I will break up the trip to Watertown, staying overnight Friday with a cousin in Newark, near Rochester, and finishing the trip on Saturday. I’ll be there for a few days and return to Cleveland for my final eye check-up on the 18th.

On another topic, (aren't you glad?) Amy had been wanting to try making kale chips. She had to go out to a meeting last Saturday and when I asked if I could do anything to help her, she asked if I was willing to try making the kale chips. I had never made them before either, but she had a recipe from a friend so I said, sure. Well it took me an hour an a half to make four cookie sheets of kale chips. They did - (the last batch that did not get overdone) - have a nice rich kale taste, but it was a pretty labor-intensive job for what one gets out of it. She decided it might be better to buy the chips, though she buys very little that has been processed at all. We eat lots of organic fruits and veetables. Today I am working on making vegetable soup. 

Be seeing you - sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment