Friday, September 19, 2014

Chipmunks and Applesauce


Finally! I have been trying for two weeks to get the surgery for my left eye scheduled and there was evidently some snafu at the office. Today I finally got a call and it is scheduled for October 2nd. I was afraid I would have to wait another whole month for it to be done.

The good news is that at my final check-up on my right eye yesterday, Dr. Lass said that the cornea looked good and that I would not need a corneal transplant until much later - maybe never! That sounded really good. Now if we have just as good luck with the left eye....

I asked Dr. Lass for a prescription for a new lens for the right eye and he readily gave it to me. But we had the same problem as before. Neither LensCrafters, nor Vision World would do just one lens. It is a company policy. So if I want a different prescription for the right eye, they have to make me a whole new pair, using the current prescription for the left eye. And then when the left eye is done, a new pair of lenses all over again. At $200 a pair. Sounds like a racket to me. I think someone could make good money setting up shop to do single lenses for the hundreds of people who are having cataract surgery. Of course, one has to consider that Medicare and some insurance companies will pay for only ONE pair of glasses after cataract surgery.

So once again I have not changed my glasses. I now have to switch back and forth, putting glasses on for close work and taking them off when not doing close work. It is definitely easier to drive without my current glasses and it is not so easy to see the computer with my glasses. So I will be REAL happy when I am back to one pair of bi-focals again. Even with the new lenses, I will require correction for both far and near vision because of the astigmatism.

Amy and I are planning a trip to Covington for next week. I need to collect my mail and take care of bills and other errands. She is going to do some business related to the house I rent from my son, as my son Jon is on the Snowman Trek. They’ve been on the trail for a couple days now. The group has gotten to know each other and get along well. In one of Jon’s emails, he said they would be meeting up with the Bhutan crew and 30 mules! to pack all of their supplies, bags and equipment. The mules pass them each day so the crew can go ahead and set up for the evening camp. It should at least give them a breather to allow 30 mules to pass them by.

I am sitting on Amy’s front porch to write this and continually distracted by the chipmunks running across her lawn and under my car, and sometime nearly across my feet. They sure are fast. As Amy said, sometimes they look like their feet don’t even touch the ground. 

Yesterday I peeled some of the apples I picked up under Lucy’s trees and made a big batch of applesauce. The rest of the apples are going home with me tomorrow; I put up applesauce nearly every year for the winter. And the price was right - free for as many as I wanted. 

It is definitely feeling like fall. Cooler nights, warming up during the day time. Some leaves are beginning to change color. My potted dahlias are still blooming so pretty on the porch. I am pleased that I will be done with my cataract appointments while travel is still pleasant. The only “downer” is that the CD player in my car has quit. I miss the audio books when I drive long distances.

Be seeing you...sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment