Sunday, September 21, 2014

Cars Get Thirsty Too


The trip yesterday from Cleveland to Covington went well with only one caveat. I “stole away” in the early hours of the morning before the others were up, so that I could reach the Covington Post Office before it closed at 2:00. About twenty miles into the trip, I noticed the car was running hotter than usual. This always signifies that the coolant is low. Coolant is topped off when I have the car serviced and it was serviced not that long ago. But I have done a lot of “long-haul” driving in warm weather recently. I anxiously watched for the highway rest stop I knew was coming up soon. 

At the rest stop I checked the coolant and it was definitely down; the fluid level did not even come up to the minimum level mark. I always carry coolant in the car so I dug out the container and poured in enough to get it well above the minimum line, not too sure just how much to put in when the car was hot, and proceeded on my way. The engine temperature dropped off a little, but not to the point it usually indicated. So at the next rest stop, I filled it up with all the remaining coolant I had, and that did the trick. From then on, the temperature indicator rested at it’s normal level.

In Covington, I returned my unused audio books to the library and picked up some DVDs for the evening when Amy would be joining me. (We drove in two cars as she will be returning to Cleveland before me). Once the car was unpacked and I had some lunch, I started peeling apples. It was really pleasant on my back patio; there was a nice breeze rustling the trees and many birds. I prepared six pints of applesauce for the canner.

It is good to be home, if only for a short time. I’ve opened all the mail, but have not responded to any of it yet. I did manage to reconcile two bank statements with no problem. I doubt my brain would hove been able to tackle looking for errors. By this time I was really tired. Nothing like one’s own bed in one’s own home. I travel frequently, sometimes I’m away for long periods, but short or long, coming home to my own bed always elicits a luxuorious sigh of pleasure.

It rained in Bhutan. I gather from Jon's short message, their “rest” day was kind of soggy, at least underfoot. They were a little sore but not more than expected after their first three days of the trek. As I write this, (they are 10 hours ahead of us) they have just finished a ten mile hike reaching up to 13,000 plus feet and down again. He writes the views of the mountain peaks are almost unbelievable.

May all of your travels be pleasant. Be seeing you....sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment