Friday, September 5, 2014

Great Road Construction Campout


Yesterday we missed the mailman. I offered to take the letters to the post office. It turned out to be a bigger challenge than I anticipated. Just as I turned off our street, I found a whole block of construction equipment that had not been there yesterday. There was a flagger but she was not being very proactive, so I waited and then carefully edged my car past all of the machines, workers, open truck doors and breathed a sigh of relief when past them. Then I realized that, even though Amy had drawn me a map to avoid another street all torn up with construction, I would not know when I got to the turn because I had not used that street before. I had to turn on my GPS to tell me the streets coming up. And then put on my glasses to see the GPS. 

That worked. Once I had correctly turned onto the new street, and then recognized the entrance to the service road where the P.O. was located, I drove quite a distance further than I thought I should have. I was about to turn around, thinking I had missed the P.O., when I saw it up ahead. 

Mission accomplished. Now to navigate back to the house. I turned off the service road where I thought I had entered, only to find myself on the torn-up street, (which we had been trying to avoid) Two-way traffic shunted into two lanes bordered with orange barrels. That made me very nervous so the first left turn I came to I turned, stopped my car and programmed my GPS from that point. With the GPS talking me through, I got back into Amy’s neighborhood okay and then, because I had walked enough in the area to know the streets there, I was able to navigate around the construction at her house. Even though it was not much fun, I did successfully accomplish the errand, and I am sure that since summer is the Great Road Construction Campout, I am likely to run into such situations again, so this was good practice and boosted my confidence a little.

Last night we made spaghetti with zucchini noodles. (Yup, that was new to me, too). Amy sliced the zucchini with a wide bladed peeler and then we sliced those into thin strips. She put them in a sieve and added salt, to extract some of the water from the zucchini. It was tasty, topped with spaghetti sauce and cheese, not as filling as regular spaghetti noodles, of course. But a good vegetarian dish.

Amy bought two hanging baskets, one of petunias and one of calibrochoa, and I can see them out the window, gently swaying in the breeze, a very pretty addition to her front porch. She does her daily meditation there.

Two days ago, I slept in until 9:30. I was amazed, but I had been up later than usual the night before typing up my last blog. (Sometimes it is hard to get on the internet during the daytime and I wanted to get the blog out.) Then at mid-afternoon when I put in my drops, I fell asleep and slept an hour. That surprised me too. I wondered if I would have trouble sleeping that night, but no problem, fell asleep with lights out. My son, Jon, says sleep is one of the greatest healers, so be sure and get enough sleep. Aye, aye, sir!

Be “seeing” you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment