Monday, September 15, 2014

A Wonderful Party


It was a wonderful party! Several people said they did not know how it could have been better. We set up the punch bowl, the large cake, bowls of peanuts and mints and M&Ms on tables covered with a lace tablecloth while the musicians set up right next to the table. We were in the cafeteria of the Skilled Nursing Home.

The music was country western, Phil’s favorite. He looked really handsome in a light short sleeve shirt and navy pants. It was my job to keep an eye on him and I “lost” him in the first fifteen minutes. He wanders continually if left alone; I was pretty sure he hadn’t gotten by me at the door, but I immediately ran outside anyway to look and caught no sight of him. By the time I ran back into the room, he had been “found”; he had just wandered back into the kitchen area.

As more people arrived and the musicians started playing, he was easy to keep track of because he loves to dance. When his wife is not immediately available, or her knee is bothering her, he searches for some other woman to dance with. I was standing next to some folks, with whom I had been visiting, and he came up to me, said not one word, took my cup of punch out of my hand, carefully set it on the table and pulled me onto the dance floor. Speaking in sentences is not easy for him. But on the dance floor he is fluid and keeps time with the music. It is a puzzle that he can dance so well, yet sometimes can not stand still without losing his balance or having a sudden weakness that requires him to sit down.

Actually it was the perfect setting for him; he did not have to try and make conversation as long as he could be dancing. And the cake and ice cream were a big hit! About 40 relatives, friends and neighbors stopped by to enjoy the music and watch Phil and Lucy dance. There was a lovely floral centerpiece and a basket of anniversary cards to take home. 50 years is a long time; “in sickness and in health” was certainly played out right in front of our eyes in the most charming and dignified manner. We were all enchanted.

Lucy was lovely and so happy to see the wonderful turn-out. Even several of her original wedding party were able to attend. And the cameras were out in force. We had our own version of paparazzi; there will certainly be plenty of pictures to commemorate the event.

Lucy was tickled with the note they received from Jon. He wrote that since he and Bath could not be there with them for the party, he was taking them with him on the Snowman Trek. He enclosed a picture of himself with a laminated picture of Phil and Lucy attached to the strap of his daypack.

I am so privileged to be part of such a wonderful family!

I called again today about scheduling surgery for the left eye; they are working on it, I was told. I’ll be heading back to Cleveland tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on the weather. Be seeing you sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment