Thursday, August 28, 2014

Double Vision!


We went back to Dr. Lass today, the end of one week, for a check-up. We had all of our questions written down.

First, his assistant had me try to read the eye chart. There was no doubt I was able to read the eye chart some easier than last time with my corrected eye. Then I saw Dr. Lass and he did a cursory check of my eye and said the Fuchs was no worse. I asked about driving; he said that my “far” vision at this time is good enough to pass a driver’s license exam. I was surprised at that because it still seems hazy to me. 

I then asked about having the right lens of my glasses popped out, or having a plain glass put in, so I would get more used to the “new” lens over the next couple weeks and he said I could do that if I wanted. 

Can we schedule the surgery for the left eye now? we wanted know. Well, that sent him back to his computer screen because obviously he had to do something there that would signify to the scheduler that it was okay to do that now. But he kept saying “after the last check-up for this eye is done”. In other words, one has to be completely healed before he will do the other. Then he whipped out a permission form for me to sign.

We got new instructions on tapering off the drops - YAY! - three times a day instead of four times a day for this next week. We verified my one-month check-up appointment. Then we went to LensCrafters to see about a plain glass lens for my right eye. I thought the plain glass lens would be better than no lens, for protection of the eye. The woman at LensCrafters said they had to have a doctor’s order to put in a plain glass lens, because, after all, it was changing my prescription and they did not want to do that without authorization.

She called the Doctor’s office, got passed on to a technician, it turned out, and talked for a few minutes, then said, “All right; I’ll tell her”. The news was that they would NOT recommend the plain glass lens; they “do not do that”. I would have to go back to the doctor to get his permission for a plain glass lens.

I thought it would be very difficult to go back and interrupt his flow of appointments, maybe have to make another appointment to discuss it with him, and I would just have the lens “popped out” and try that. The LensCrafter woman took the lens out quickly and gave the glasses back to me. SURPRISE!

I had been getting on so well with my glasses and my new “lens” that I was totally unprepared for the DOUBLE VISION - Big time! I looked around the room and said, No way could I drive in this condition. The “doubles” were not side-by-side even; they were offset to the side and one under the other. So I had the lens put back in my glasses. I decided that I would take my glasses off when I am not doing close work, as I can see “far” fairly well without glasses and that would give my eye opportunity to adust. 

This seems to be working okay so far. I just have to remember to take the glasses off and put them back on, like reading glasses. This is going to be a challenge because I have worn glasses all the time nearly all my life... I may need one of those chains I see women wear around their neck; otherwise I’m afraid I am going to leave them somewhere and then have trouble finding them. I’ll have to work on this for a while.

Be seeing you, and hopefully, not double!

No comments:

Post a Comment