Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Are My Eyebrows Crooked?

I arrived at the pharmacy at 12:15 p.m. yesterday to pick up that 3rd prescription, just in case they had it ready. They didn't. So I waited about 20 minutes, during which time I picked up a bottle of CVS brand mouthwash. I dislike the sweetened varieties so always buy the plain, which looks very like listerine. I took it with me back to the waiting area and when the prescriptions were ready, I put the mouthwash up on the counter to pay for them together and saw that my eyes had betrayed me once again. The bottle I had was slightly rose colored!

The trip to Cleveland was uneventful. I listened to an audio book to pass the time and stopped at every rest stop to walk around a little or use the facilities. I made better time than I expected as traffic was light and arrived at Amy's at 5:45.

This morning's first pre-op eye drops are in! Putting the eye drops in turned out not as hard as deciphering the name of the eyedrops on the tiny bottles. I have to put in two different eye drops 3x times a day and can do them at the same time, except five minutes apart. I need to label the two bottles somehow so I can tell them apart - can't decipher any of the print on them.

Watching my daughter put on her make-up I remembered I had not put on my eyebrows yet. Years ago when I saw the movie, Terms of Endearment, with Shirley MacLaine playing an aging actress who asks her daughter to draw on her eyebrows for her, it was my introduction to a new "vision" of aging processes. I did not realize when I discovered this activity, that I would one day be doing the same. But now what little eyebrow hair I have left is gray, and in the mirror it looks like I have no eyebrows at all. For several years I have been adding color to my brows, something I never bothered to do before that, unless I was going out for the evening.

The trick it to try and draw the eyebrows on evenly or nearly so. And then try to apply the same amount of color to each. When one is too dark, I try to brush some of it out; when it's too light or doesn't have the same arch or distance from my eye... well, you get the picture. I have a nice magnifying make-up mirror my daughter bought me years ago, but now I require lots of light. So I walk back and forth from the mirror in my bedroom to the bathroom, peering at myself in the various mirrors, and sometimes I just say, the heck with it and go, whether my eyebrows look funny or not.

In terms of lighting required for me to read, it takes two lamps next to my recliner. Or I stand at the kitchen table that has a strong gooseneck lamp in the middle of it, handy for turning onto my recipe book when I'm cooking. Sometimes in the morning even with a magnifying glass I cannot read. That usually does not last long, and is probably due to the Fuchs. The fuzzy spaces I see on my computer are probably due to the cataracts. (That's my explanation, not the doctor's). And fine print is almost impossible. This morning when Amy was helping me label my various eye drops so that I could more readily recognize them, I commented that the drug companies certainly were not interested in imparting information when they included that folded up paper in with the eye drop bottle. The print was so fine, the people who were required to use the drops would never be able to read what they wrote.

We called the Surgery Center this morning and I am scheduled first in the line-up for tomorrow morning and must arrive at the Surgery at 6:30 a.m. Wear comfortable clothes, no make-up, (hey! no eyebrows needed tomorrow; no chance I could see well enough at that hour to draw them on anyway) no jewelry, and nothing by mouth after midnight tonight. Since we have to leave the house at 6 tomorrow morning, I will definitely be in bed long before midnight!

Be "seeing" you soon. I hope.

1 comment:

  1. And she's off to the races! All that preparation has got to be worth it. I (we) will be waiting with baited breath for your next installment - even if someone else has to type it in for you!
    Love and Hugs!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete