Friday, September 11, 2009

Day 38 Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

I'm sitting in a beautiful new Library in Coeur d'Alene. I had moved into Pacific Time late afternoon, and that gave me an extra hour to find a campsite last night. That was after I had tracked down the elusive Michael Douglass, whom I had tried to contact by letter and by mail through the Kootenai County Sheriff's department where he works. Anyway, back in the boonies, on a dirt road, a friendly neighbor finally led me in her car to his driveway yesterday. He was sleeping, not feeling too good, his wife said, but I verified I had found the right place and left my card and said I would be back in the morning. I asked what time would be good; she said he gets up at 4. I had intended to get there at 9 this morning but had forgotten to change my watch, so actually arrived on his doorstep at 10 to eight. But he was up and we both had our coffee in hand, and stood outside in the bright sunlight and visited for an hour. The rest of the family was still asleep.

Last Wednesday from Butte, I called Shirley Schottelkorb (Grandpa's first cousin)and told her I had some research in Butte but expected to get to her place that afternoon. She was delighted. Actually I found such good information in Butte, I did not get to Missoula until 4:45 but we had a great visit! She was so pleased to talk with me as she said I had so much Lee information that many family visitors do not have. They insisted that I sleep in their spare bedroom, so that was the second time this trip I have slept in a bed. In Cody I slept in the car as Darry had visitors. Other places that I have stopped the folks have not been in a position to offer me a bed. But the car is all set up with everything I need. When I take stuff into a house, there is always the danger of forgetting it. I was fortunate when I left Schottelkorbs that just as I got on the Interstate, I suddenly suspected I had left some things, so pulled off and verified that and went back, probably about 4 miles, to collect the backpack and pillow. Thank goodness I remembered before I had gone a hundred miles or so towards Coeur d'Alene. There would have been a lot of stuff to replace.

The scenery here is spectacular. There is a large blue lake and the main highways are above it so one gets a terrific view. Contrary to Missoula which gets little snow, Mike says they get lots here. I suspect this is considerably higher in altitude but have not checked that out. It was 38 degrees this morning at 6:15 PT and the sun not yet over the tree tops. So it was make a fast trip to the wash house (heated, thank goodness), pack up the car and go find some coffee!! Three hours later the temperature was 64 degrees and they say it is going to 80 today.

This morning I am going to the next county to do some research at Sandpoint. When finished there, next stop is Spokane. Then I'll be in Washington State! Should be getting to Seattle in a few days. Yeah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment