Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 46 Seattle, WA

Hi, Everyone. Sorry for the long lapse in communication.

I arrived at Jon and Beth's last Monday, kind of surprised myself that I actually had arrived here. My anxiety over driving again in Seattle traffic was assuaged entirely by the GPS, which performed beautifully.

On Tuesday, I spent the morning cleaning out the car (!), sunbathing on their patio and walking to the Post Office and Bank with Beth (good for your calves walking on all these hills).

Wednesday I drove a few miles east to Bellevue to an Archive there. This is one of those archives where you have to use white gloves to handle the old books. I managed to find one marriage record I wanted and to narrow down the years that a family lived in Tacoma by using the Polk Directories.

Thursday I drove to Vancouver, Canada, to use their public library where I had stopped briefly three years ago when Barry, Amy and I visited there. Since Beth warned that the wait at the Border could go more than an hour I called to make a reservation for overnight at a hostel not far from the library. The wait at the Border was only 35 minutes and all went well until I left the library about 6 to find the hostel. My GPS and I went around and around in a circle. Finally I saw a parking place and pulled in, got out and walked until I found the hostel, and checked in. (I was assigned a top bunk in the female dorm. The clerk kind of timidly asked if that was all right. I said just as long as there's a ladder. He grinned and assured me there was.)

Then the REAL problem arose. I could not find a place to park for the night. The hostel staff made several suggestions of places one could park for overnite for $6, but when I went there that option was no longer available, maximum time allowed was 3 hours. All street parking in the area was by Permit Only. The traffic, both car and foot, was so congested in the area of the hostel, that after driving around for an hour (by this time it was dark) I went back to the hostel to tell them and ask if I bought the 3-hours-max allowed, what were the chances the car would get towed. They said it likely would be. So at that point I gave up and set my GPS to get away from the downtown area, which was just brimming with people and traffic and music and lights and found a place to park in a residential area and slept in my car again.

I got back to Jon and Beth's about 5:45 Friday. I would have made it before the rush hour except there was an accident and that backed up the freeway for more than a half hour. Beth was having some friends who had gone on last year's Bhutan trip here for the weekend, so we all had a good time chatting, sipping wine and eating Beth's signature MacBeth recipe.

Today we roamed around Ballard, a neighborhood in Seattle, where we had breakfast and then visited REI, that terrific outdoor and sports outfitter. Goodness! They have absolutely anything and everything you can imagine for traveling or outdoor activities. I bought some poison ivy soap. I saw a neat little twisted cord clothesline for campers that does not require clothespins, lots of backpacks, laptop sleeves, hats, warm skiing duds, tents, on and on and on.

I'll be here through Sunday, then heading south. I am hoping to hook up with Amanda Schottelkorb and get a helicopter ride next week sometime.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mom!

    WOW!!! Such a lot you've done! WAYYY too bad about the parking in Vancouver. Jeepers! Helicopter ride, eh?! That will be fun! Barry and I went to the Ravenna Balloon Afair (hot air 2-day balloon festival) today. He went yesterday, also. Balloons did not launch today: evidently too overcast with chance of rain. I had a good time looking at tractors and old cars, and watching "Portage County Idol", which is like "American Idol". Over 40 singers competed!! Pretty amazing. And Barry participated in a dual-photography club meet-up there. Barry took a lot of pictures of the tractors and cars and kids, etc. And was satisfied that he got the balloon pics yesterday (over 1000 pics). So, it was a good day, in a lovely venue. This is the same venue Barry made the DVD of, set to music, of last year's event.

    Have fun; thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete