Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Not So Simple Pleasures


I was thinking on one of my drives to Cleveland, as I enjoyed the beautiful scenery, how fortunate we are to have eyesight. I know that vision evolved to make us aware of our surroundings, along with hearing and smell and all of our senses. But how miraculous is vision! I was counting the attributes of vision as I drove along. What is it that makes the scenery so wonderful? There is color, of course, but there is shape and line and depth and contrast and variety. I noticed how scenes with variety pleasured me to a greater degree than those with less variety. And of course, light and shadow.

Then I thought, what is the source of pleasure? Where in our body-mind does pleasure originate? For me, pleasure is a distinct feeling inside, in the middle of my chest, a warmth there that quickly diffuses my whole body. How is it that a sight can be transformed into a feeling? How does that happen?

It happens with our other senses too. I’ve been wafted away into the air listening to a concert. I can’t pass the vase of roses without taking a whiff, and that induces that same feeling. I remember the pleasure of the warm blanket tucked around me just before my surgery. Along with the pleasure comes a sense of well being. Or is the sense of well being synonymous with pleasure? (Webster says no, not quite.)

I tend to explain my feelings as coming from my thoughts. But the only thoughts I can decipher at the time of such pleasures are “Isn’t that beautiful!” or “That is so wonderful”. I don’t think this experience of pleasure is something I learned or copied from my elders; I think it is innate. I may never understand how it works; I am just so grateful that it is part of my experience, in this body, on this earth.

My rose bush is still putting out buds in spite of the cold nights. I hear the ducks and geese overhead. I bundle in layers to go walking. All the signs of impending cold weather are upon us. Yet even the crisp air brings pleasure.

The leaves are raked and piled at curbside, a pile about 3 ft. deep and 20 ft. long. I hope the city comes soon to scoop them up, so they don’t blow all over someone else’s lawn. And thereby reduce their pleasure, perhaps.

I’ve ordered my new glasses. They had to be sent away to have the anti-glare coating put on them. It will likely be another ten days before I have them. I am hoping I might be able to drive more easily at night with new glasses.

Be seeing you...

No comments:

Post a Comment