Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 61 Council Bluffs, Iowa

I am sitting in a nice modern library in Council Bluffs. It is a beautiful cool fall day out with wispy clouds in the sky. Went for a walk around the park and enjoyed the huge fountain they have there while waiting for the library to open. One of the nice perks of school being in session is that the libraries are now open on Sunday afternoons.

Night before last I tried to find the Pawnee Lake Recreation area but when the GPS said I was there, I saw nothing of that nature. So I pulled into an access to a cornfield off a dirt road and stayed there that night. I have discovered if I bundle my feet up good so they stay warm, I will sleep comfortably, so I applied several layers to my feet and zipped up my sleeping bag and was soon drowzy. I did not expect the temperature to go too low as the sky was overcast. The wind was still gusting so strongly that it rocked the car sometimes though. During the night the wind finally died out.

Yesterday I spent in Omaha and for an hour of that time I tramped around the Forest Lawn cemetery looking for the graves of Wilfred, Josephine and Robert Douglass. In spite of having a map from the internet I did not find them. I don't know how the cemetery staff draws their maps, but once in the car and searching, nothing looks like what they have drawn. I was disappointed, but it was Saturday so the office was not open.

This morning, I woke in the residential area of Council Bluffs to the chattering of birds overhead. I had unknowingly parked directly under a tree whose branches were loaded with a berry that the birds were rapidly devouring. They even landed on the roof of my car (and I am sure left various deposits there). I was so warm and cozy in my cocoon, with no reason or inclination to get out, that I drifted off to sleep again and woke at 9:45!! Since it was Sunday I treated myself to a waffle combo at the Village Inn and then read in my car for an hour and a half while the sun warmed it up nicely. (I could find no UU church in the area)

Tomorrow I will visit a few small towns in SW Iowa, then on to Des Moines and Iowa City. Those will be my last research stops of my trip.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mom!

    I read the last 3 posts and am smiling saying "Go, Mom, go!". Your posts bring out the 2 together: beautiful, and sometimes a challenging drive, esp. in the rain and wind. It's challenging to drive on the relative flat in rain; saw a little of that my trip to NYS. After very cool last week in OH, warmed up a little before the weekend here (highs of low 60's). Not as colorful in Ohio as in NYS, yet. When I was there the red sumac, purple asters, bright green, low alfalfa (which Kathy identified for me), dark green trees with some starting to orange, and blue skies and sometimes blue-gray clouds were so colorful. It's been awhile since I've been to NYS in late Sept., and all the colors of other locales do not have the "turned up" feel of the colors of NYS.

    Worked Sat. (up at 4:30am) and was home by 1:30pm. Another weekend test. The last of this part of the project. Helped with services today.

    Barry is finishing a batch of cayenne beer, for the "mystery ingredient" competition at the brew club today. I will "to Pittsburgh" for the day on Tues of this coming week, for work. I don't have to drive: we take a shuttle bus.

    Love to you; wishes for continued enjoyment of the ride!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete