Friday, October 2, 2009

Day 59 Lincoln, Nebraska

Well, I did better than I expected yesterday. I waited until 10:30 to leave Craig, giving the snow time to melt and I had dry roads. As I went north towards I-80, I began to see small patches of blue sky amidst the clouds and by the time I connected with I-80 I had sunshine. Once on I-80 the view was beautiful, the snow on the hills changing their shapes and images. There was a lot of wind but I got along nicely to Laramie by 1:30 and stopped and called the weather line. They said that I-80 was clear all the way to Cheyenne, which was what I was concerned about as there was another pass to go over. But worried for nothing, dry roads all the way.

I drove until 4:00 and then called ahead to make a reservation at a motel because they were predicting freezing temperature overnight and in Craig I got the last motel room at the place I stopped. It was a good move because after I had checked in at Sidney, Nebraska, Comfort Inn last night,I heard them turning people away - they were full up. The dark clouds that had been behind me all day had caught up, but by this morning they had all blown past.

Today was just plain boring driving. Nebraska looks flat after the mountains, but of course, it isn't. It was extremely windy with hard gusts at times requiring reduced speed and sometimes the muscles in my hands were tired from gripping the wheel. I stopped once for a catnap and that was a big help. I got into Lincoln, NE, at about 4(Central Time) and luckily the library is open to 6, so I got my info here and will head towards Omaha for my next stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment