Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Time Out!

Yesterday we got a late start as Jon had to have a tooth looked at. It had been aggravating him since Saturday and he was managing the problem with aspirin. He got in to see the dentist shortly after 10, got a Rx for antibiotic, and some strong antiseptic mouthwash; he will need a filling when he gets home but will not lose the tooth; he was relieved. 

We stopped for lunch in Adare where they had advertised two thatched-roof cottages. Unfortunately the cottages burned last year, but not the mention in the guide books, of course. We had lunch at the Blue Door and found the small post office, so I got my post cards sent off. They gave me both stamps and Priority Mail stickers. I am sure I will get home before the post cards are delivered, but as Jon said, that's the fun of it.

Dunratty Castle was fun too. Stone spiral staircases, embellished with metal railings on both side to facilitate movement and prevent falls. A great hall, maybe 50 feet with long tables. Jon measured one, a single plank, nearly 3 inches thick and 35 ft. long. Huge fireplaces, lots of huge antlers on the wall. Really old authentic-looking tapestries. A few bedchambers set up with massive furniture; a heavy large wooden chest with metal edging on all corners and edges. On the top level we stepped out onto what was probably the sentry watch. Narrow windows so high up that looking down almost gave me vertigo. A great view of the surrounding countryside, though; they could see whoever was coming miles off. 

I was impressed with the huge tapestries on the walls in this castle. They did not look like reproductions, but I could not fathom how they could have survived so many years. Probably they had been restored. Tours of the castle were stopped at 4 pm daily so they could prepare for the nightly Medieval Dinner. I am sure they served it in the Great Hall; the benches were cushioned there. Guides were dressed in period-style garb. This castle got a definite “yes” for Beth’s Ireland Tour. 

On the WWW coast again, we visited the Cliffs of Mohers, pronounced Moo-ers. Another photographers’ wonder: water and sky and great cliffs dropping 600 feet to where the ocean carves away at the base.

Lots of rolling countryside as we traveled north towards Galway, more farm land; only a few sheep but lots of dairy cows and beef cattle. At Connors Pass, a pull-off provided a great view. There was a path to climb even higher up the hill and we started up but the path was stony and uneven and very steep so I stopped and sent Jon and Beth the rest of the way to the top. I stood to one side of the path and did 360 degree rotations to see the view on all sides, great vast valleys ringed by rugged hills and the blue of the ocean in the distance. On the way back down, I was grateful for Jon’s strong hand holding me steady and helping me climb over large stones. His strong hand or arm has been ever available when the going gets tough.

We stayed last night in Galway at the Ardilaun Hotel. My stomach had not been happy since  yesterday and my energy level was much lower than usual this morning, so I opted for a rest day. Jon and Beth went out to traverse yet another peninsula. I slept, showered, washed my hair, relaxed with cups of tea, readily available using a hot-pot in my room and I am feeling much better. Jon emailed a short time ago that they were coming back into Galway; did I want to go shopping; Beth is doing some last minute shopping. Last chance in Ireland; we fly to Edinborough tomorrow. I emailed back: Yes, I’m up, refreshed and ready to go; so he will pick me up. 

Here’s another of Patrick’s kerryman jokes: The Kerry Councilman asks people which side of the river gets more traffic. When the answers come back, the north side, he said, “Good. Then that’s the side we’ll put the bridge on”. Love the Irish humor.



No comments:

Post a Comment