Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Ghost Kitties


 Here at Amy and Barry’s house, we have other occupants whom we see seldom and usually just as they are rushing past us to get away - and under the couch. I was here a whole week before I even caught sight of one. 

  Amy explained that they had taken in two feral cats whom their cat sitter had rescued and had kept for a year. Janet, the cat sitter, was aware that Amy and Barry lost both of their cats some time ago and had not replaced them. Janet was moving and could not take the cats with her across country. Amy and Barry first agreed to take them as foster cats until the folks who had agreed to take them got moved into their new house. But you know what happened, or you can guess. The other folks backed out. But, never mind. As Barry says, we aren’t really foster cat people; they become our kitties. And that is what has happened.

Since the cats have lived on the street, they are afraid of a lot of things: loud noises, sudden movement, any approach to them. At first they only came out to eat at night and hid under a chair or the couch all day. But being cats they are curious. Gradually they came out in the day time to look us over. Now we usually see Tabitha every day; she will sit in the window across the room as long as I am seated and make no sudden moves. Bunny is much more shy; she is the flash of quicksilver rushing by, if I see her at all.

Last night as I sat on the couch watching TV, idly swinging a cat feather-toy on the end of a wand, Tabitha came out to play. She had a good time; I think I wore her out.

Different things wear people out. Very loud noise levels and crowds of people wear me out. Amy was talking about something she saw on the internet about introverts getting their energy from nature and quiet, while extroverts like plenty of company and talk and action. I have to admit I’m more of an introvert. Even though I enjoy people, I prefer to talk to them one-on-one or in a small group. I go all day without the radio or TV on; I prefer it that way. It drains rather than increases my energy. Now in the evening when I am ready to relax, I enjoy the TV - well at least I enjoy some shows, but if there’s nothing I like, the TV is off. 

Isn’t it curious that we are so different in how we re-energize ourselves. It calls for some compromises with the people we live with. We can share the other’s activities - but only up to a point usually. Accepting who we are and what the other person needs to get energized and feel happy goes a long way towards a peaceful co-existence. 

We are all giving the Ghost Kitties lots of space, letting them acclimate in their own time. We would love to pet them, but they don’t want to be petted - yet. And we respect their space and their need to feel safe.

Tomorrow it’s back to see Dr. Lass. I hope he has a better report this time. Be seeing you...

No comments:

Post a Comment