Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 3 Geneva, IL

When I saw the door to Geneva Public Library and there was this neat little sign - Free Wi-Fi, it warmed my heart. First chance I've had in the last two days to use Wi-Fi, mostly because I've been in the boonies.

Yesterday I left Dixon, IL and headed for Geneva, IL but knew I was not going to get there in time to locate a good camping site, so stopped in Big Rock, population 750. In a town that size everyone knows what everyone else drives and all their neighbors. But I had a nice walk around the 4 square blocks of residential area, and ate supper in a shady spot. Then drove a circle around town, found an old barn sitting back from the road completely screened from the road by acres and acres of 8 ft. tall corn. Pulled in and looked around. Startled two beautiful owls out of the barn. Their wingspread as they flew 12 ft. above me was just beautiful. I had not planned on a "cold camp" last night, but had absolutely no problems - except for the possibility that, try as hard as I could to limit what I brought, I still have too much "stuff". I have a feeling some of it is going to be jettisoned if I can't figure out a better storage system. I have a new appreciation for people who have to live out of their cars.

Downtown Geneva, as advertised, is a lovely historic area of little boutiques and shops. First thing I saw when I turned the corner on Main St. was Starbucks Coffee. I wished I had waited to get my morning coffee here - the coffee I got in Big Rock was like dishwater! To use Barry's comment, "a little thicker, please."

As lovely as downtown is, the county government buildings are scattered all over to east, south and west. I spent the whole morning with no results. Even the library, my usual savior, does not have what I need. I am going to try the Historical Society and if that does not have anything, will head for Milton, Wisconsin. I can camp there without problem over the weekend and the weather report says it will be in the 90s.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mom! Thanks for your beautiful writings on what you are seeing and doing! I thought you might be delayed starting off due to the heavy rains in Cincy, but I guess not! That's good! On this Friday, we started another big weekend test, and had a problem, so we were up until after 11pm. But fixed. And today, my project lead is covering for me, so I can relax. It's lightly overcast here this Sat. morn. Looks like rain. Love you!

    ReplyDelete